Panicked woman abandons live stream after realising ‘aloe vera’ leaf she’s eating is actually rare poisonous plant

A panicked woman was rushed to hospital after eating a poisonous plant she thought was a harmless aloe vera leaf on an internet live stream.



The 26-year-old Chinese woman, surnamed Zhang, broadcast her unusual food fetish to several hundred viewers and even bought two massive green leaves for the performance. She claimed the leaves were aloe verab – and that there was no better way to reap the plant’s benefits than by chowing down on the thick, fresh leaves.




But her “Aloe Vera Feast” – as her channel’s stream was title – turned very bad, very fast as she actually ate the leaves of a century plant – which is also called the agave Americana.

The poison desert plant from the Americas, which resembles aloe vera, is sold in China as an ornament, and its likeness to aloe vera is thought to have fooled the woman.




Zhang, who is still recovering in hospital, later claimed her mouth went “numb” and she felt like her throat was “on fire”. She also “lost her voice” after three bites of the agave Americana and immediately took herself to hospital, abandoning the live stream entirely.

What do you think? Leave a comment and don’t forget to share this! Get the freshest and most entertaining updates everyday by liking our Facebook page.